Sunday, December 15, 2013

George T. Stagg (2013 Release)

Happy Holidays from The Blundon Bourbon Review! Another cold, snowy day in Baltimore means bourbon in the belly. Tonight it is my pleasure to leave you with a review of the 2013 release of George T. Stagg. I'll tell you what, this bad guy was a tough one to find, but the hunt paid off (as it always does)!

This 750ML bottle of uncut, unfiltered bourbon whiskey is 128.2 proof- making it only the second time in the fourteen releases that it has dropped down into the 120′s . This 2013 release is 15 years and 11 months old. Purchased for $99.99

Color-A dark, rich amber

Nose- Sweet yet balanced. Caramel candy, bananas foster, rolled tobacco, vanilla, maple syrup, cherries. There are certainly some floral notes here...red roses.

Taste- (Neat from a Glencarin Glass) At the tip of my palate is dark fudge, sweet vanilla and brown sugar. Notes of black pepper, tobacco, and rye follow on the back end. The heat is there, however, the flavors present themselves with very little burn. I don't normally comment on texture, but this has a great thick mouthfeel that coats the tongue in an elegant manner. The legs are long and beautiful in the glass.

Finish: Fudge and black pepper prevail with the classic rye spice and a little bit of corn.

Conclusion- I was really excited to get my hands on a bottle of GTS, and I must say it has lived up to my expectations. The sweetness is perfectly balanced and I look forward to hunting down the 2014 release next fall.

My Rating: A+ (Premium)

Video Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment