Sunday, June 8, 2014

Cody Road Bourbon

Cody Road is a bourbon named after William “Buffalo Bill” Cody and made in Leclaire, Iowa, by the Mississippi River Distilling Company. The mash contains 70% corn, 20% wheat, and 10% unmalted barley An interesting fact about this bourbon is that it is aged (for 1 year) in 30 gallon oak barrels- almost half the size of a traditional whiskey barrel. This is batch #1, bottle #361 (2014) and it is bottled at 90 proof. 

Color: Light Straw

Nose:  Not typical of your average bourbon. There are heavy barley notes which is reminiscent of a single malt whiskey. Peat, corn, light vanilla, and caramel apples jump out of the glencarin glass. There is a final wave of agave which reminds me of drinking bad tequila during my college days.  Being honest, i'm not a big fan of this nose. 

Taste: The caramel on the nose breaks free and tastes just like a Werther's Original candy chew. Scotch like qualities continue to throw me off- is this really a bourbon or is someone pranking me right now? Peat, toffee, and a hint of oak form the back end of the palate. Still not impressed. 

Finish: Medium finish. Peat, caramel, smoke, little burn. 


Conclusion: Certainly not your typical bourbon. The unmalted barley really threw me off and had me checking the label to see if it was really a bourbon. While it was only aged for one year, the 30 gallon barrel did bring out more more oak. If you are a scotch fan at heart, this is for you. While this bourbon wasn't my cup of tea, the Mississippi River Distilling Company just opened in 2010, and I do look forward to tasting some of there other products in the future. 


My Rating: D (Poor)

Video Review:  


No comments:

Post a Comment