Thursday, October 16, 2014

Buffalo Trace Bourbon


Autumn is such a great time of the year; leaves begin to tumble and a faint chill sneaks its way into the air. Mid October means bourbon hunting season is in full effect with annual and limited releases, barrel proof offerings, aged ryes, etc! 

While this season just started for most, it is already one for the record books for the Blundon Bourbon Review in regards to Buffalo Trace. Maryland was the first state to receive its allocation of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (BTAC), and luckily for me, I got my hands on a complete 2014 set. Before I start to review some of those gems, I wanted to share my comments on their flagship product. 


Details:
90 proof
No Age statement
Mashbill #1 (low rye)

Color: Bright amber


Nose: Creamy vanilla, cinnamon sticks,  nutmeg, roasted sweet corn, cherry pie, molasses. 


Taste: Delicate sweetness up front with brown sugar and caramel. It's moderately spicy and ends with bitter oak. 


Finish: Medium in length with spice and oak.  

Conclusion: Its easy to understand why this is the flagship product for Buffalo Trace; this is a well balanced bourbon with a nice depth to it. At $25 a bottle, Buffalo Trace is a very good everyday sipper that can also mix for an awesome cocktail. 

My Rating: B+ (Very Good) 




No comments:

Post a Comment