Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof Single Barrel Whiskey


I can't believe it's taken me this long to review a Jack Daniels whiskey! While I spent my early years in Memphis, becoming familiar with good ole Jack, I must confess it has never been something near and dear to my heart. When I heard Brown-Forman had plans to release a single barrel, barrel proof product, I was all in. 

Jack Daniels is labeled as a Tennessee whiskey, meaning it must be a straight bourbon whiskey produced in the State of Tennessee. What makes Jack Daniels unique (from most Kentucky bourbons) is the use of the Lincoln County process. This is a method by which the whiskey is filtered using columns of sugar maple charcoal. It gives Jack Daniels (and most other Tennessee whiskey) that unique, sweet, and almost artificial flavor.

Details:
No Age Statement
Barrel: 16-0486
132.7 proof
Price: $65

Nose: I'd never thought a 130+ proof whiskey could remind me of my childhood, but this is a walk down memory lane; it literally smells like Bubblicious gum and Coke! It's a very vibrant nose, packed with a heavy cola influence, artificial sugars, vanilla bean, caramel, sweet corn, and barrel char.

Taste: The soda influence dominates the palate.  Dr. Pepper spices, cherry syrup, and cola. Tons of sweetness; every flavor seems to have a sugar tinge added to it. The bubble gum note remains vibrant, and is followed by a a hot spice.

Finish: A very long finish full of sugar and barrel char. 

Conclusion: If you are a fan of Jack & Coke cocktails then will really enjoy drinking this neat. It's a super sweet whiskey with bold character. I'm personally not a huge Jack Daniels fan, but this is hands down their best whiskey to date. I will enjoy the bottle, but I won’t keep it stocked behind the bar.

My Rating:  B (Good)


Bourbon Brothers Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment