Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Old Scout TEN bourbon

Smooth Ambler Spirits Company is a craft distillery located in Maxwelton, West Virginia.  While they distill a variety of spirits, they also source a significant amount of the whiskey they sell. They refer this sourcing as "scouting", thus all the whiskey they source is labeled under the sub-brand "Old Scout". The label on Old Scout TEN states it is at least 10 years old, suggesting it is certainly some type of blend.

Details:
-2013 release, batch 14  
-10 years old
-100 proof 
-Price: $50

Nose: Whip cream and salted caramel create the base of this bouquet. Peanuts, coffee
bean, and leather also surface for a pleasant aroma. 

Taste: Sweet corn unfolds into a heavy nutty-vanilla note on the palate. Toasted oak combines with a significant earthy tone and a unique clay note. 


Finish: Medium in length with a sweet barrel char finish. 

Conclusion: This is a difficult bottle to find in my area so when I saw it at MSRP I picked it up immediately. Unfortunately, Old Scout TEN fell short of my expectations. It's smooth and the flavors are bold, however the overall taste doesn't  do it for me. It's not bad by any stretch, but at $50 a bottle, there are many other bourbons I would recommend. 

My Rating:  C (Decent)


Bourbon Brothers Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment